- This event has passed.
CUA Hackathon 2017
CUA Hackathon 2017
August 19, 2017 @ 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Got an innovative digital solution that resonates with millennials? Want to know what it’s like to collaborate with startups and entrepreneurs? If your answer is yes, then join CUA at its’ Hackathon on 18, 19, and 20 August 2017.
What’s the CUA Hackathon?
Hosted with Brisbane technology hub River City Labs (RCL), the CUA Hackathon is a 48 hour collaboration amongst entrepreneurs, startups, members of the community and CUA team members working together to bring original ideas to life.
Want to know more about our Hackathon? Check out the videofrom our inaugural event in 2016.
Have questions? Attend our CUA Hackathon Public Information Night at River City Labs on Thursday, August 3rd.
This year’s Hackathon is centred around the theme Millennials: Tech, Trust, and Relationships. The challenge is for participants to find innovative solutions to answer the following question:
How can CUA leverage technology to create trusted experiences and relationships that resonate with millennials?
This is your chance to showcase your ideas over 48 hours of building, validating, and launching new digital products. We are looking for a digitally-focused solution that aligns with CUA’s purpose of ‘members working together through life’s changes for mutual good’.
We’ll also keep your stomachs satisfied and energy levels up throughout the weekend!
What will you get out of it?
You’ll have the opportunity to use your interests, skills and creativity to develop an idea to assist CUA members with their financial, health and insurance needs.
There is range of fantastic prizes to win, including:
- a $5000 cash prize
- a mentoring session with entrepreneur and investor, Steve Baxter, from Channel Ten program, Shark Tank
- a $10,000 CXA Branding and Marketing support for the winning idea
Prizes will also be awarded for:
- Most Innovative/ Creative Concept – $500 cash prize
- Best Traction/ Most Viable – $500 cash prize
In addition, you’ll have the chance to add this experience to your portfolio, meet new people, learn new skills, and have lots of fun along the way!
How does it work?
A mix of entpreneurs, startups, marketers, expert professionals and CUA team members, will work together in teams to develop an original idea.
On the evening of 18 August, you’ll meet other participants, pitch your idea, vote on your favourites, and then break into teams to begin working on the chosen idea.
Over the following two days, you’ll be working with your team to design, develop, validate, and pitch your idea.
Along the way, you will be mentored by experts who will help you and your team reach your goal by the 4pm deadline on the final day (20 August).
After tools down, your team will have the chance to pitch your idea, after which, a panel of judges will deliberate and choose the winning team.
Please keep in mind that in order to participate, you’ll have to commit for the full 48 hours from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon.
Other ways you can get involved
If you don’t wish to participate, you may still like to come along to watch the pitches and presentations on the opening and final night and support participant’s innovative and creative ideas.
CUA is Australia’s largest credit union, offering responsible financial, health and insurance solutions to around 500,000 Australians. As a mutual, we were created by members for members and we care for them through the changes and challenges in their lives. We are working on being available whenever and wherever members need us. Our growth and success enables us to reinvest in our business, deepen our relationships with members and build stronger communities. Visit www.cua.com.au for more information on our initiatives, services and locations.
About River City Labs
River City Labs is a non-profit coworking community of like minded individuals who came together to promote and develop early stage and start up businesses and entrepreneurial activity in the mobile, Internet and technology sector in Brisbane and surrounding regions in Australia. We aim to empower entrepreneurs to solve big world problems.
Photography/ Videography Consent
By registering to participate in the event, Participants consent to the Host using their name, likeness, image and/or voice in the event they are a winner (including photograph, film and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting the CUA Hackathon (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by the Host or developed as a result of the CUA Hackathon.
Please note that no ticket refunds will be given from 7 days before the event as catering is pre-organised.
Intellectual Property – Important!
We often get asked about Intellectual Property ownership relating to the business ideas and concepts developed over the course of a Hackathon. Please note the following:
– Over the course of the Hackathon, Confidential Information such as test data, services etc relating to CUA’s business will be revealed to Participants. Note all Confidential Information disclosed in the Confidential Information will remain owned by CUA and must be removed form your device prior to leaving the venue.
– Intellectual Property rights relating to business ideas or concepts you and your team develop over the course of the CUA Hackathon are owned by you and your team, but we reserve the right to be the first to use your ideas or concepts and make them a commercial reality.
If you have further questions relating to participating in the CUA Hackathon, please contact the River City Labs team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms & Conditions
The host is Credit Union Australia Limited (ABN 44 087 650 959) of 145 Ann Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000, telephone 133 282 (“Host”). By participating, each individual participant in the CUA Hackathon (“Participant”) is deemed to accept these Terms and Conditions. These Terms & Conditions should be read in conjunction with the Event Rules.
– Participants must form teams of between 2 and 6 participants (“Participants”) aged 18 years or over. All teams must include at least one CUA staff member.
– Registration for the CUA Hackathon open on 10/07/2017. Registrations can be done via http://cuahackathon.rivercitylabs.net/. Registrations close 16 August 2017 11:59 PM.
– The CUA Hackathon will be conducted between 5:00 PM on 18 August 2017, 19 August 2017 and 20 August 2017 at 9:00 PM.
– Participants must pay for own travel, incidental and other costs.
Prizes and Judging
The winning team of the CUA Hackathon will receive:
– $5,000 cash prize provided by CUA.
– Mentoring session with Steve Baxter.
– $10,000 CXA sponsorship which includes branding strategy, corporate identity development, concept development, content strategy, social media strategy, marketing plan, and any additional marketing services required.
The winning team will be decided and announced on 20 August 2017 at River City Labs, Level 3 TCB Building, 315 Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley QLD 4000.
The judge’s decision is final. The winning team is responsible for allocating any prize between the team’s Participants.
All participants must abide by the safety regulations and procedures of River City Labs, where the event will be located.
Intellectual Property and Confidential Information
– Any Intellectual Property rights relating to business ideas or concepts developed during the Hackathon will be owned by the team that generated the idea. CUA may require the winning team to enter into an agreement granting CUA exclusive rights to develop the ideas or concepts generated during the Hackathon.
– The Host may disclose Confidential Information to the Participant throughout the Hackathon.
– “Confidential Information” means any information of whatever kind disclosed by the Host that is by its nature confidential, is designated by the Host as confidential; or the Participant knows or reasonably ought to know is confidential. This may include ideas, concepts, research, methodologies, processes, trade secrets, know-how, technical information, marketing information, software, intellectual property or information regarding product, marketing, financial affairs or business methods of CUA or its members/customers.
– The Participant agrees to only use the Confidential Information of CUA for the purpose of participating in the CUA Hackathon. The Participant will take all measures necessary to keep the Confidential Information of CUA confidential and not to release, disclose or otherwise make available any Confidential Information of CUA to any person.
– All intellectual property rights in the Confidential Information, as well as any other preexisting intellectual property of CUA which is disclosed during the Hackathon, remain owned by CUA.
Participants consent to the Host using their name, likeness, image and/or voice (including photograph, film and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting the CUA Hackathon (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by the Host or developed as a result of the CUA Hackathon. In no event will the Host, its related bodies corporate and their employees be liable to you for any direct, special, incidental, exemplary, punitive or consequential damages (including loss of use, data, business or profits) arising out of or in connection with your participation in the Hackathon, whether such liability arises from any claim based upon contract, warranty, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise, and whether or not the Host, its related bodies corporate and their employees, have been advised of the possibility of such loss or damage These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of Queensland, Australia.